June 26, 2022

South Korean biotechnology firm Hyundai Bioscience Co. announced its oral antiviral candidate CP-COV03 when used with dexamethasone showed high efficacy in treating for COVID-19 virus during animal testings.

About the oral drug –

• The company with regards to the result of the latest animal testing mentioned that the use of both CP-COV03 and dexamethasone showed efficacy against COVID-19 virus.
• While the efficiency is 2.1 times higher than using dexamethasone alone.
• Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid, known for its anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant effects that is used in a wide range of conditions.

Hyundai Bioscience official, Jin Keun-woo, commented that usage of dexamethasone alone can come with possible side effects such as reduction in the activity of immune system. Hence it is important to find a medication that is combined to bring about the right anti-viral effect. CP-COV03 has shown to be the best combination for dexamethasone.

The company in order to expand the indication has won approval from local drug authorities to conduct phase one clinical trial of CP-COV03 in 18 adult patients.

Currently, Gilead Sciences Inc. developed Remdesivir and dexamethasone is being used to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients.

According to reports, other companies developing COVID-19 antiviral oral drug candidates are Pfizer Inc.’s PF-07321332 and Merck’s MK-4482.

With regards to COVID-19, government health authorities have reported three foreign students attending universities in Seoul have been infected with the COVID-19 omicron variant, thus signaling the highly contagious variant’s penetration into the capital.

According to the city government, each of the foreign students contracting the omicron variant are from Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS), Seoul National University (SNU), and Kyunghee University.

The government noted that all of the three students were found to have visited a church in Incheon, where a pastor and his wife were confirmed as the first cases of omicron in the country last week.

The students reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 last Friday, while their infections with the new variant was confirmed through a whole genome analysis.

As of midnight Monday, nationwide, the number of omicron cases rose by 12 to 36.